Scope of report
APPROACH TO REPORTING
AngloGold Ashanti Limited (AngloGold Ashanti) endeavours to report on performance in an integrated and holistic way, taking into account a broad range of stakeholder requirements and current best practice.
Our reporting is guided by the King Code of Governance Principles for South Africa 2009 (King III), which became effective on 1 March 2010, and requires companies listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) to issue an integrated report covering financial and non-financial issues.
This report, the Annual Financial Statements 2011, is supplementary to the group‘s primary report, the Annual Integrated Report 2011, which has been published for the first time this year. These two reports, together with the Sustainability Report 2011, the Mineral Resource and Ore Reserve Report 2011 and the Notice of Annual General Meeting 2011, comprise AngloGold Ashanti‘s suite of Annual Reports for 2011.
This suite of reports which covers the financial year ended 31 December 2011, aims to illustrate the fundamental link between the risks and opportunities that face the business in the short, medium and long term, and how AngloGold Ashanti‘s strategy has developed to ensure that it responds appropriately to these risks while creating and sustaining value for all stakeholders.
The Annual Integrated Report 2011 sets out the group‘s strategy, governance, performance and prospects in the context of its operations and the markets for its products, and recognises the importance and concerns of stakeholders. It will be submitted to the JSE, where AngloGold Ashanti has its primary listing, together with the Annual Financial Statements 2011 and the Notice of Annual General Meeting 2011.
The Annual Financial Statements 2011 provide more detailed reviews of operations and projects, the exploration programme, the approach to corporate governance and both the group and company financial statements for the 2011 financial year. These financial statements have been prepared in accordance with: International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS); the South African Companies Act, 71 of 2008; and the JSE Listings Requirements.
These reports are available through this website. Those shareholders who would prefer copies of these reports, either posted or e-mailed to them, are asked to contact firstname.lastname@example.org in this regard.
AngloGold Ashanti‘s annual reports
The suite of Annual Reports 2011 is made up of:
- The Annual Financial Statements, which presents a comprehensive review of the year and has been prepared in accordance with: the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS); the South African Companies Act, 71 of 2008; and the Listings Requirements of the JSE. This report is submitted to the JSE in South Africa, as well as the London, New York, Ghana and Australian stock exchanges on which AngloGold Ashanti is listed.
- The Annual Integrated Report, which has been produced in line with the recommendations of King III and the JSE Listings Requirements. Cognisance has been taken of local and international recommendations on integrated reporting in developing the contents and style of reporting. Stakeholders seeking more detailed and specific information are referred to the other reports.
- The Sustainability Report, which provides insight into AngloGold Ashanti‘s approach to sustainability. This report focuses on those issues that have been determined to be most important to the group and to stakeholders. AngloGold Ashanti continues to support the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) and reports in accordance with its 3.0 guidelines and the Mining and Metals Sector Supplement, the Sustainable Development Framework of the International Council on Metals and Mining (ICMM), and the principles of the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC).
- The Mineral Resource and Ore Reserve Report, which presents the group‘s Mineral Resource and Ore Reserve in accordance with the South African Code for Reporting of Exploration Results, Mineral Reserves and Mineral Resources (SAMREC 2007 Edition), and the Australasian Code for Reporting of Exploration Results, Mineral Resources and Ore Reserves (JORC 2004). This report has been prepared, reviewed and confirmed by the Competent Persons as defined in terms of these codes.
- The Notice of Annual General Meeting which gives notice of the 68th annual general meeting of shareholders to be held on Thursday, 10 May 2012 at 11:00 (South African time).
The suite of annual reports will be furnished to the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on Form 6-K.
These reports cover all operations and entities in which AngloGold Ashanti has a significant interest and which are under the management of the group, or in whose management it has significant influence. Certain joint ventures and other interests are discussed where relevant, to provide insight and context. Production is expressed on an attributable basis, unless otherwise stated. Capital is reported at 100% unless indicated otherwise. Safety performance is reported for each managed entity while the average number of employees is reported for subsidiaries and joint ventures. Sustainability data covers all operations, exploration projects, joint ventures and subsidiary companies managed by AngloGold Ashanti.
For cross-referencing of information in the various reports, the following icons are used:
Mineral Resource and Ore Reserve Report 2011 (PDF - 3.91MB)
Unless otherwise stated, $ or dollar refers to US dollars throughout this suite of reports.
- References to “group” and “company” are used interchangeably in the narrative of this report, except in the financial statements of the group and company
- “Statement of financial position” and “balance sheet” are used interchangeably in the narrative of this report.
- To familiarise yourself with the terminology used in this report, please refer to Non-GAAP disclosures and the Glossary of terms and Non-GAAP metrics.
- Locations on maps are for indication purposes only.