Sustainability performance summary
ACCOUNTABILITY FOR OUR PERFORMANCE
61,242 employees and contractors
* Excludes joint ventures
We aim to reduce our AIFR to below 9.0 by 2015, see Safety and health.
Our long-term goal is to operate without fatalities or injury, see Safety and health.
All injury frequency rate: the total number of injuries per million hours worked.
|Fatalities of third parties as a result of security interventions||3||0||2||0||NR||Security strategy|
|Injuries to third parties as a result of security interventions||9||5||3||4||NR||Security strategy|
|Injuries to security personnel as a result of security interventions (1)||49||44||11||12||NR||Security strategy|
(1) Security personnel include AngloGold Ashanti internal security, private security companies and public security forces in certain jurisdictions
Our target is to operate without incidents under the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights (VPSHR) . See Security strategy.
|Incidence of silicosis (per 1,000 employees)||9||15||12||13||14||Safety and health|
|Incidence of compensable noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL) (per 1,000 employees) (3)||2.3||2.1||2.7||2.3||2.3||Safety and health|
|Incidence of malaria (per 100 employees) (3)||17.6||27.6||45.0||46.9||74.8||Safety and health|
|Incidence of occupational tuberculosis (per 100 employees)||1.8||2.6||2.9||2.6||2.7||Safety and health|
- (2) Data on silicosis, NIHL and tuberculosis applies to South Africa only. Data on malaria applies to affected regions only.
- (3) Numbers have been revised from those previously reported for 2007-2010 to allow for a consistent method of calculation going forward.
Our objectives are:
- The elimination of new cases of silicosis after December 2013 among employees in South Africa with no occupational exposure prior to 2008
- No deterioration in hearing greater than 10% among occupationally-exposed individuals at South African operations, from a 2009 baseline
- Maintain occupational tuberculosis incidence at below 2.25% among all employees in South Africa and reduce to below 1.5% by 2029
payments to governments(4)
(4) Includes direct and indirect taxes, royalties and dividends paid to governments. See Creating sustainable economic benefits.
We have developed a sustainable development framework targeting the creation of sustainable economic benefits for communities from our mining operations. See Creating sustainable economic benefits
Environmental and natural resource management
|Energy use (million GJ)||30.5||30.6||29.8||29.4||29.9||Environmental and natural resource management|
|Greenhouse gas emissions (Mt CO2e)||4.51||4.82(5)||4.79 (5)||4.55||4.51||Environmental and natural resource management|
|Water use (GL)||56.9||54.7||55.1||53.6||55.8||Environmental and natural resource management|
It is our intention to achieve certification of all our metallurgical operations under the Cyanide Code and we are making the necessary investments to achieve this goal. See Environmental and natural resource management.
We aim to reduce the number of reportable environmental incidents to less than 18 by 2015 and over the longer term to operate without environmental incidents. See Environmental and natural resource management.
- (5) Greenhouse gas emissions data for 2009 and 2010 has been revised due to revisions in grid emissions factors in Ghana and the USA