ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENTS 2012
This report, the Annual Financial Statements 2012, is a fundamental component of this suite of reports and addresses the financial and governance requirements of the company in line with its primary listing on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE).Scope of this report
Operating profit for the year decreased from $2,202m in 2011 to $1,127m in 2012, mainly as a result of reduced gold income due to lower production levels at the South African operations following the strike action and increased safety related stoppages, higher operating costs, impairments and derecognition of assets.
KEY FEATURES OF THE YEAR
AIFR(1) of 7.72 per million hours worked.
(1) All injury frequency rate
$2,154m spent, including equity-accounted
3,944,000oz* of gold produced.
Total cash costs:
$2,397m, excludes hedge buy-back costs in years 2008 to 2010
- * Gold production, total cash costs and return on equity were adversely impacted in 2012, primarily due to the unprotected strike in South Africa.
Return on equity:
18%*, excludes hedge buy-back costs in years 2008
$1,802m net cash inflow from operating activities,
excludes hedge buy-back costs in years 2008 to 2010
Adjusted headline earnings:
$924m, excludes hedge buy-back costs in years 2008 to 2010
KEY FEATURES OF THE YEAR
AngloGold Ashanti believes that adherence to best practice in corporate governance is the bedrock of a sustainable business and underpins the creation of long-term value for its shareholders. In that regard the company has consistently demonstrated this belief by applying best practice in corporate governance in managing the affairs of the group.
Chairman’s letter - Audit and Corporate Governance Committee
Internal controls and procedures have been put in place to manage the risk of business failure and provide reasonable assurance against such failure.
Prof Wiseman Nkuhlu | Read letter
This section describes many of the risks that could affect AngloGold Ashanti. There may however be additional unknown risks and other risks, currently believed to be immaterial, that either individually or simultaneously, could significantly affect the group’ s business, financial results and the price of its securities.
Chairperson’s letter – Social, Ethics and Transformation Committee
This committee has been established in compliance with legislation and is in the process of determining its mandate.
Nozipho Patricia January-Bardill | Read letter
SCOPE OF THIS REPORT
As part of a comprehensive suite of annual reports to shareholders, this report addresses our statutory reporting requirements.
AngloGold Ashanti Limited (AngloGold Ashanti) has compiled a suite of reports covering the financial year ended 31 December 2012 to illustrate the fundamental link between the risks and opportunities that face the business in the short, medium and long term, and how the group’s strategy has developed to ensure that it responds appropriately to these risks and opportunities while creating and sustaining value for all stakeholders.
The full suite of 2012 reports comprises:
- Annual Integrated Report, the primary report;
- Annual Financial Statements;
- Sustainability Report;
- Online Sustainability Report;
- Mineral Resource and Ore Reserve Report;
- Operational and Project Profiles; and
- Notice of Meeting (includes various shareholder voting forms).
In addition, supplementary information which includes the document entitled “Risk factors related to AngloGold Ashanti’s suite of 2012 reports” is available in this online report.
This report, the Annual Financial Statements 2012, is a fundamental component of this suite of reports and addresses the financial and governance requirements of the company in line with its primary listing on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE). In particular, it provides details on AngloGold Ashanti’s approach to corporate governance and both the group and company financial statements for the 2012 financial year. These financial statements have been prepared in accordance with: International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and interpretations of those standards, as adopted by the International Accounting Standards Board (IASB); the South African Companies Act, 71 of 2008; and the Listings Requirements of the JSE.
This report, together with the Notice of Meeting 2012 and the relevant shareholder voting forms, is submitted to the JSE in South Africa, as well as the New York, London, Ghana and Australian stock exchanges on which AngloGold Ashanti is listed. The full suite of annual reports will be furnished to the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on Form 6-K.
Each operation and project has its own separate profile that reports comprehensively on developments, progress and challenges of the past financial year.
Previously this information was available in the Annual Financial Statements but is now reported more holistically in these profiles which will be made available under Operational profiles. For ease of use, a detailed guide to the full suite of reports including the Notice of Meeting may be found below.
The 2012 suite of reports covers all operations and entities in which the group has a controlling interest and which are under the management of AngloGold Ashanti or where the company has interests or joint ventures in the management structure. Information relating to joint ventures and other interests is provided for context.
For the purposes of our reporting, we have
identified our major stakeholder groups.
Assurance and approvals
AngloGold Ashanti’s suite of 2012 annual reports have been reviewed and assured as follows:
- The Annual Financial Statements 2012 for the year ended 31 December 2012 were approved by the Board of Directors on 19 March 2013. In accordance with Section 29(1)(e)(ii) of the Companies Act, No 71 of 2008 (as amended), the Annual Financial Statements for AngloGold Ashanti Limited for the year ended 31 December 2012 were audited by Ernst & Young Inc., the company’s independent external auditors, whose unqualified audit report may be found in the Annual Financial Statements. These financial statements were prepared by the corporate reporting staff of AngloGold Ashanti Limited, headed by John Edwin Staples, the group’s Chief Accounting Officer. This process was supervised by Srinivasan Venkatakrishnan, the group’s Chief Financial Officer and Mark Cutifani, the group’s Chief Executive Officer.
- Following its recommendation by the Audit and Corporate Governance Committee, this Annual Integrated Report 2012 was approved by the board of directors on 19 March 2013.
- The Sustainability Report 2012 and Online Sustainability Report 2012 were approved by the board of directors on 19 March 2013. AngloGold Ashanti has declared an A+ application in line with the Global Reporting Initiative’s (GRI’s) G3.0 guidelines and the Mining and Metals Sector Supplement. Ernst & Young Inc. have assured certain sustainability information in these reports, the assurance statement for which may be found in the Online Sustainability Report.
- The Mineral Resource and Ore Reserve Report 2012 was approved by the board of directors on 19 March 2013. The chairman of the Mineral Resource and Ore Reserve Steering Committee assumes responsibility for the Mineral Resource and Ore Reserve Report 2012.
Progression towards integrated reporting and combined assurance
AngloGold Ashanti is committed to the progressive implementation of integrated reporting at all levels of our business. This reporting should, and does, reflect a holistic account of our business – both financial and non-financial objectives and our performance against them, and our vision for the future. Under the guidance of the Audit and Corporate Governance Committee, a combined assurance model has been adopted with the aim of providing a coordinated approach to all assurance activities. We believe that this will enable the board and management to assess whether the significant risks facing the group are completely and adequately mitigated. The combined assurance model facilitates a group wide integration and leveraging of the various control, governance and assurance processes and its introduction has brought a new dimension to assurance within the group through the value being derived from integrated assurance teams.
During 2012, all significant operations within AngloGold Ashanti were subjected to risk based, integrated, technical or commercial combined assurance reviews. The outcome of these reviews provided reasonable assurance to allow the board, on recommendation from the Audit and Corporate Governance Committee, to conclude on the effectiveness of the group’s system of internal controls.
While we endeavour to move towards a fully integrated online platform for reporting, we note that many stakeholders will not have access to our website, and that some stakeholders prefer printed copies of our reports. This report is accessible both online and as a printed report, available on request from email@example.com or PO Box 62117, Marshalltown, Johannesburg 2107. To further facilitate communication, where relevant, several of these reports have been translated into French, Spanish and Portuguese.
The following key parameters should also be noted in respect of our reports:
- Production is expressed on an attributable basis unless otherwise indicated.
- The average number of employees is reported for AngloGold Ashanti subsidiaries and joint ventures. Employee numbers for joint ventures represents the group’s attributable share.
- There were no restatements during the year for the group annual financial statements.
- Unless otherwise stated, $ or dollar refers to US dollars throughout this suite of reports.
- Locations on maps are for indication purposes only.
- Group and company are used interchangeably except in the summarised financial information.
- Statement of financial position and balance sheet are used interchangeably.
For terminology used refer to the Glossary of Terms and Non-Gaap Disclosure.