This report provides a comprehensive overview of our sustainability performance in 2020 from operations within our reporting boundary.
In setting our reporting boundary, we have considered impacts which result both from operations within AngloGold Ashanti and its associated companies, as well as from outside the organisation. While we seek to establish a consistent boundary for reporting across all our sustainability metrics, we also report on developments, impacts and data outside our reporting boundary where these are material to the business and our sustainability performance.
We know that our stakeholders are more concerned than ever about our short and long-term sustainability performance. This includes our providers of capital, our employees, the communities in which we operate and governments and regulators within whose jurisdictions we operate. Key data illustrates our performance against our material issues, and where possible we present data for five years to show trends and to emphasise that our sustainability performance is built over time and not just a 12-month period. Our 2020 data includes nine months data for South Africa (sold 30 September 2020) and twelve months data for Mali (sold 30 December 2020) operations, respectively, following the sale of those assets. Employee safety performance disclosures are reported this year in disaggregated format for the continuing operations vs the discontinued operations (for the disposed of South Africa and Mali operations). Refer to report assurance for these disclosures. Selected data is represented within this PDF and a full excel datasheet is available. 102-49
Our case studies and stories further demonstrate and bring to life our performance.
This report has been prepared in accordance with the GRI Standards: Core option. These standards are the benchmark for sustainability reporting globally and an important measure of our progress. Ernst & Young (EY) has provided assurance on selected information and key performance indicators. Download their full assurance statement (pdf). 102-54
This year, we also started mapping our content against Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB). SASB sets standards to identify, measure, and manage the subset of environmental, social and governance (ESG) topics that most directly impact long-term value creation.
Both the GRI and SASB indices can be found in the sustainability workbook (xls). 102-55
AngloGold Ashanti is a signatory of the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) and this report serves as the 2020 Communication on Progress (COP). It is also aligned with the Sustainable Development Framework of the International Council on Mining and Metals (ICMM), of which AngloGold Ashanti is a member.
The section on External Charters provides additional detail of compliance with other frameworks, including voluntary memberships.
- Reporting boundary: 102-46
- In the context of this report, outside of the organisation refers to our suppliers and joint ventures, where we may not own the assets or directly engage or employ the workforce, and where we do not operate the asset under a contractual obligation. Within the organisation refers to all operations and entities in which the group has a controlling interest and which are under our management, in terms of ownership or a contractual obligation. We do not report on non-financial information for Kibali Mine in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), which is managed and operated by our joint venture partner Barrick Gold Corporation.
- By control we mean we own the assets, engage or employ the workforce and manage the operations.
- Significant influence:
- By significant influence we mean we operate the asset as an owner or under a contractual obligation to the owners.
- Information is consolidated and reported as AngloGold Ashanti results for assets under our control. For assets where we have a significant influence, we may choose to report information externally if it is of specific interest and applicable agreements allow.
All photographs depicted showing employees and/or community members in this report were taken prior to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and do not reflect AngloGold Ashanti’s standard operating procedure that was implemented as a result of the pandemic.