In 2021, AngloGold Ashanti conducted a Group-wide culture assessment survey as part of its efforts to reshape company culture and align its values across leadership and employees. Respect for the Group’s people – and their diversity, talents and aspirations – fundamentally informed this assessment, as it will the execution of the assessment’s results.
“We are aware that a strong company culture drives high performance, creates inspiring and fulfilling workspaces, helps teams to navigate challenging times, and promotes long-term business sustainability,” says ,” says Tshepo Sibilanga SVP: Organisational Effectiveness. “It also influences our reputation among our local communities, and helps to create positive, long-lasting and mutually beneficial relationships.”
CEO Alberto Calderon is spearheading this culture and values transformation journey, which started with an organisational culture assessment that was conducted in collaboration with Chapman & Co. Leadership Institute. Chapman & Co. used the Barrett Culture Model to survey our employees’ experiences, perceptions and ideas.
Over 80% of our employees across all levels and jurisdictions participated in the survey. For us, this was a clear indication that they were eager to have their say in the future direction of our company culture.
The survey’s results indicated that:
- Most employees have a grounded and well-rounded set of values
- There is a satisfactory match between our current culture and our desired culture
- Employees are committed to safety and health, accountability, and continuous learning and improvement
- While employees have experienced significant transformation and change, they are willing to continue to evolve and grow
- There is a willingness to embrace a culture characterised by greater employee engagement, recognition, leadership, professional growth and open communication
- Employees desire greater accountability. We aim to address this through our new Operating Model. It has accountability as a cornerstone, streamlining the organisation and presenting clear channels of communication and accountability.
The executive and senior leadership teams have started the next steps of the journey. They are currently internalising the survey results, communicating the current and desired culture and values to their broader teams, and identifying short, medium, and long-term action plans to address areas of concern. The ultimate goal is to lay the foundations necessary to build an inspiring culture that lives up to AngloGold Ashanti’s commitment to building a better world.